Friday, September 16, 2011

Life is a beach I'm just playing in the sand

It's Springbreak 2011 and the fam and I are heading to Destin, Florida... by car! Yes, we were driving from Virginia to basically the gulf of Mexico. We made an overnight stop in South Carolina and then the journey continued. I don't mind long distance traveling by car, but trust me when I tell you that teenagers and pre-teenagers do.

We arrived at the Emerald hotel and walked into a beautiful condo. The livingroom had big windows and a balcony to enjoy the beautiful view that the beach has to offer. We changed clothes and went out to enjoy some local cuisine. We found a very nice seafood restuarant and had a delicious meal. I also tried fried green tomatoes for the first time and it was delish!

We literaly had to walk out the door, down the stairs, past the pool, and then we were on the beach. I though places like these existed only on the pages of magazines but here i was on the whitest sand in the world. If you want to fry an eyeball then don't wear sunglasses because the sand will blind you. The ocean was crystal clear blue and green and the waves quite small compared to the South African waves. I even saw dolphines, while enjoying my morning coffee on the balcony, one morning.

My favorite part of the trip was seeing the sunset. The whole beach turns red/ orange/ yellow. The night we went out on the beach to see it, it also happened to be a full moon. While the sun was setting on the one side the moon was rising over the ocean. It was truely beautiful. Unfortunately, this was also the night that I learned my host mom had to go to Iraq for 6months. I didn't know what to say and honestly I was scared.

After a great and relaxing week, we took on the 16hours again and this time drove it all in one day. Ofcourse we had to have some car trouble first, but luckily it was just an airconditioning malfuntion :) Till next time travellers


No comments:

Post a Comment