Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Homebound

A few weeks ago I was in South Africa for a 2week visit to my family. I have been working as an au pair in America for a year and it was time for a visit. I'll admit that I was very excited to go home, but also scared. I knew things had changed. People changed. And I changed too.

Those 18hours were probably the longest 18hours of my life. When we touched down I knew I was home. Greeting me at the airport was a big purple banner. "Welcome" it said. And my brother ran to greet me. It was a room filled with tears. Was it that bad that I came back?

I guess you never really appreciate where you're from until you pretend to be a tourist of your own country. So that is what I did, I pretended to be a tourist on my first visit to Africa. Well, kind of. I did a lot of things tourists would do.

I visited Pilansberg Nature Reserve, where I saw a wide variety of antelope, giraffes, rhinos, warthogs, hippo's, leopards, but to my disappointment I didn't see any elephants or lions. I have been to Pilansberg a number of times and have always seen elephants but never lions (which makes me pretty sure they don't have any). But that's just what makes nature so beautiful and mystical, you have to truly look to find.

True to my own nature I also did a lot of shopping. I needed a serious winter wardrobe update and Mom was willing to splurge on her beloved daughter. Out of the 2weeks I was maybe home a full day or 2.

Then I decided to hit the African Market called Chameleon Village. Outside of the market you hear drums beat and the smell of good food overwhelms you. Once inside madness takes its toll. Hundreds of stands each with it's unique goods and very unique owner. I'm pretty sure you can find every cultural group of South Africa there and each of them will give you "a special price".

On the day before I left my mother took me to the "Lion and Rhino park". Again I saw a wide variety of antelope, but what I was most excited about was getting to hold baby lions and tigers. And not just any type of lion but white lions! We got to play with them and cuddle with them. The tiger cub was my favorite, he kept jumping on me and chewing on my shoes and clothes, not realizing it's strength yet. I also saw big male lions in the wild for the first time in my life!

What impressed me the most on my visit was the kindness and friendliness with which we were received in all 3 places that we went. The smiles and the stories that these people shared warmed my heart.

My 2weeks ended and it felt like I was home for a month. And now I'm back at my other home to continue my adventure in America.



My next blog will be about the places I have visited so far in America. Don't miss it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment